Christ is Born! Glorify Him! Христос Раждається! Славімо Його!
Happy New Year! I can't believe it's already 2018; honestly December just flew by and here we are. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and brought in the New Year with style. Most of you who are in school still have a week off (so lucky, I've got to add), but I wanted to come here to give you all a reminder on the programs that are continuing this year, as well as a heads up on the great new stuff being planned for the next few months:
1. Bozhi Dity (God's Children): This popular Sunday School class is back in full swing January 14th @ 10:00am. I've got some fun crafts planned so I look forward to seeing your children in the Bozhi Dity room on Sunday morning!
2. God's Word & Me: We're looking to change a few things with this program, so we'll meet on January 7th after church to briefly talk through our options.
3. Family, Faith, & Friends Parent Group: This bimonthly meeting begins again this Friday, January 5th @ 9:00-11:00am. Gather with other parents for fellowship and parenting ideas. Childcare provided for $2/child.
4. Monthly Vespers: Held on the last Saturday of the month (3rd Saturday in March), Vespers is a beautiful evening service that helps you prepare for Sunday's Divine Liturgy. Make it a family event and join us @ 6pm, 5:30pm if you want a short lesson on the tones of the week and other Vespers melodies.
As for some new events, check these out:
1. Beer's & Qs with Fr. Julian: Young adults are invited to the second session with Fr. Julian on Thursday, February 8 at Fargo's @ 7:00pm. There isn't a hockey game that night, so come join us for a drink and a chance to ask Fr. Julian questions about our faith.
2. Teen Retreat and THINKfast: This teen retreat is a great way to spend time with friends, old and new while exploring fasting: what it is, how we do it, and why we do it. In addition to social activities, we will be participating in a 25-hour fast in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in the Global South, bringing awareness to the injustices of the world and what we can do to right those wrongs. Pledge forms will be available shortly and any donations collected will be donated to Development and Peace to help those in need. Cost $20. A schedule of events will be available shortly. Register by February 4, 2018.
There are also a bunch of events happening around within the Edmonton Eparchy:
1. Children's Movie Night at Holy Eucharist: On the 4th Sunday of every month, gather with other elementary-aged children at 6:00pm for a faith-based movie night. Snack is provided!
2. "Sleepover with Jesus" Lenten Children's Retreat: Spend time with old and new friends at this weekend retreat @ Dormition Parish. Children gr. 1-6 welcome. Cost is $20/child and covers all food. Bring a sleeping mat, sleeping bag, and pjs.
3. Teen Spring Retreat: Teens aged 13-17 are invited to start off Spring Break right! Unwind, recharge, and share some prayers and fun at this year's Eparchial Spring Break Retreat @ Camp Oselia from March 23-26, 2018. Cost is $100 for the weekend. Register by March 17, 2018.
4. Young Adult Social & Movie Night at Holy Eucharist: On the 3rd Sunday of every month, join other young adults for a movie and discussion with others your age. Free food.
5. "Faith and Self Care" at St. Basil's: On February 2 @ 7:00pm, spend an evening learning about and discussing self care in relationships and faith.
6. "Recharge" at the Basilian House of Studies: Spend some time in rest and relaxation at the House of Studies with other young adults. Apr. 27 @ 7:00pm- Apr. 28 @ 11:00am.
Lots of stuff going on in our parish and within the Eparchy! Stay tuned for more info and as events pop up. You can also check out the Calendar and Winter Program Guide for more programs that you might be interested in.
God bless and hope your 2018 is starting off right!